IT proved a day of double celebration for new table-toppers BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT.

James Webster's in-form side moved to the Ryman League division north summit after a 3-0 victory at Ware, coupled with previous pacesetters MALDON AND TIPTREE being pipped 3-2 by Bury Town.

To put the cherry on the cake, long-serving striker Phil Kelly was among their scorers - bringing up his century of goals for the R's.

Regent had started the day level on points with Maldon, but sitting second because of their inferior goal difference.

However, Saturday's results saw the clubs swap positions as Brightlingsea completed a quickfire double against Ware, having put five past them at North Road last Tuesday.

All the goals came in the second half at Wodson Park.

Jake Turner broke the deadlock four minutes after the break, striking home from inside the box after a pass from Tom Richardson.

Kelly's big moment soon followed, capitalising on a defensive mistake, and Ware's back line were at fault again as Ricky Griggs punished them with a third on 85 minutes.

Brightlingsea also have a game in hand on Maldon and that is coming up at North Road on Tuesday, against Soham Town Rangers.

The Jammers led 1-0 and 2-1 in their match against Bury before the Suffolk club finished strongly to run out 3-2 winners.

Leon Ottley-Gooch put through his own from Kyle Hammond's right-wing cross to put Maldon ahead on 22 minutes.

Regan Pelling soon levelled but Kevin Horlock's men nosed in front again, through Femi Akinwande.

However, the points were far from safe and so it proved, as Taylor Bannister popped up with two goals in quick succession to earn victory for the Suffolk hosts.

AFC Hornchurch are third in the table - three points Maldon and six behind Brightlingsea - after a 3-0 victory at HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS.

Leon McKenzie netted all three goals - all in the first 24 minutes.

His third came from the penalty spot.

Swifts sit 19th in the table, five points above third-from-bottom Brentwood Town.

Jody Brown's men are back in action on Tuesday night, when they have another tough-looking game at fourth-placed Thurrock.

WITHAM TOWN, buoyed by their excellent midweek victory at VCD Athletic, shared the spoils from a 1-1 draw at Phoenix Sports.

However, they left it late before rescuing a share of the spoils, thanks to an 89th-minute leveller from Thomas Robinson.

The substitute had only been on the pitch four minutes.

Witham had trailed for most of the game, following a third-minute opener from the hosts' Theo Fairweather-Johnson.

Adam Flint's side are 14th in the table and next play on Friday night, against Heybridge at the Village Glass Stadium.