A man has been sentenced at Chelmsford Crown Court to five years’ imprisonment for the death of a man in Chelmsford during the V Festival weekend.

Jamie Waters, 29, of Andyk Road, Canvey Island pleaded guilty at a previous hearing (October 17) to the manslaughter of 27-year-old Urim Rama, from London, who died following an assault in the early hours of August 19, 2012.

Senior Investigating Officer, DI Martin Pasmore of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: "This case highlights the dangers of excessive drinking and the violent anti social behaviour that all too often follows. Jamie Waters had been drinking heavily that night and he threw a bottle at a completely innocent man and his girlfriend in Duke Street Chelmsford. Together with a drunken friend, he then approached the couple and threatened them.

"Urim Rama, who had been living in the UK for 11 years and was working as an electrician, was also in Duke Street at that time. He was completely sober and upon seeing Waters behaving so badly he intervened and appealed to them not to fight but to walk away. His actions were entirely passive and he initially calmed the situation, allowing the couple to walk away.

"Whilst Mr Rama continued to talk to the other man, Waters surreptitiously walked to the side of Mr Rama and without warning punched him once the face. Mr Rama was knocked unconscious by the punch, resulting in him hitting the ground very hard, causing a fatal brain injury.

"Although it is clear that this punch would have caused harm to Mr Rama the investigation did not reveal any evidence to suggest that he intended to cause really serious harm or death. Where death results in these circumstances the offence is one of manslaughter, which still amounts to an unlawful killing.

The judge accepted Jamie Waters guilty plea to manslaughter. This decision must be difficult for Mr Rama's family and friends to accept when their loved one has been killed in such a senseless way.

"My heart goes out to Mr Rama's family and I hope that their pain will ease with time. I would also like to thank Mr Rama's family and friends for their patience and cooperation throughout the investigation.”