Twenty people are homeless after a fire ripped through a block of flats.

The blaze started in a second floor flat in Wood Road, Heybridge, on Sunday night and spread to six apartments.

Tony Stirling, who lives nearby, ran into the burning flat twice - dragging one man out.

Emphysema sufferer Mr Stirling, 50, had been called by his daughter, who lives in the block, who told him there was smoke everywhere.

Paramedics checked over two men who had suffered smoke inhalation.

Hugh Fern, Moat’s executive director of housing and customer services, said six of the Moat-owned properties were affected.

“Three of these properties experienced substantial damage and will require significant works,” he said.

“The remaining three are being assessed to determine when their residents can return.

Full story in today's Standard.