Cyclist injured after collision with car

Police and ambulance attended the accident

Police and ambulance attended the accident

First published in News
Last updated

A male cyclist was taken to hospital with minor injuries after being involved in a collision with a car this morning.

Police and ambulance were called to the scene of the accident at 8.50am this morning after they received reports of an accident.

A car and a cyclist had collided at the junction of Goldhanger Road and Basin Road, Heybridge.

Officers attended to find a man being treated by ambulance staff for minor injuries after coming off his bike.

East of England Ambulance Service sent an ambulance, a duty officer and a response car to the scene.

The cyclist was taken to Broomfield hospital for further treatment.

The driver of the vehicle, a grey Volkswagen Golf, was believed to be uninjured.

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:53pm Wed 7 May 14

Latchingdon says...

Hope the Cyclist will be ok.
However - more proof that cyclists and rush hour traffic do NOT mix!
Hope the Cyclist will be ok. However - more proof that cyclists and rush hour traffic do NOT mix! Latchingdon
  • Score: -3

6:48am Thu 8 May 14

Regbluebottle says...

Latchingdon wrote:
Hope the Cyclist will be ok.
However - more proof that cyclists and rush hour traffic do NOT mix!
*Rush hour*!

Hardly, more likely 'school run' time. It might help if there weren'tt stupid little signs posted around this junction advertising various events, some of which interfere with the site lines of motorists pulling out of Basin Road onto Goldhanger Road.

Hope that the cyclist is OK.
[quote][p][bold]Latchingdon[/bold] wrote: Hope the Cyclist will be ok. However - more proof that cyclists and rush hour traffic do NOT mix![/p][/quote]*Rush hour*! Hardly, more likely 'school run' time. It might help if there weren'tt stupid little signs posted around this junction advertising various events, some of which interfere with the site lines of motorists pulling out of Basin Road onto Goldhanger Road. Hope that the cyclist is OK. Regbluebottle
  • Score: 2

8:12am Thu 8 May 14

An alternative view says...

Latchingdon: What's your point? should us cyclist of the Basin stay at home when hard working people are on their way to work?... if so I'm buggered....

And I must be missing those signs Reg.... as I'm trying to see round the bloody hedge on the left that blocks the view if you're turning right and people are doing their impression of 40mph
Latchingdon: What's your point? should us cyclist of the Basin stay at home when hard working people are on their way to work?... if so I'm buggered.... And I must be missing those signs Reg.... as I'm trying to see round the bloody hedge on the left that blocks the view if you're turning right and people are doing their impression of 40mph An alternative view
  • Score: 1

9:24am Thu 8 May 14

Hawthorne says...

Latchingdon wrote:
Hope the Cyclist will be ok.
However - more proof that cyclists and rush hour traffic do NOT mix!
Perhaps, but I don't see what the alternative is, given that both cyclists and cars are perfectly entitled to share the roads, not to mention pedestrians and horses.
[quote][p][bold]Latchingdon[/bold] wrote: Hope the Cyclist will be ok. However - more proof that cyclists and rush hour traffic do NOT mix![/p][/quote]Perhaps, but I don't see what the alternative is, given that both cyclists and cars are perfectly entitled to share the roads, not to mention pedestrians and horses. Hawthorne
  • Score: 3

7:09am Fri 9 May 14

Latchingdon says...

An alternative view wrote:
Latchingdon: What's your point? should us cyclist of the Basin stay at home when hard working people are on their way to work?... if so I'm buggered.... And I must be missing those signs Reg.... as I'm trying to see round the bloody hedge on the left that blocks the view if you're turning right and people are doing their impression of 40mph
My point is there is hardly enough room on the road for all the traffic. When you add cyclists in to the mix they normally come off worse! In rush hour traffic this is just compounded!
[quote][p][bold]An alternative view[/bold] wrote: Latchingdon: What's your point? should us cyclist of the Basin stay at home when hard working people are on their way to work?... if so I'm buggered.... And I must be missing those signs Reg.... as I'm trying to see round the bloody hedge on the left that blocks the view if you're turning right and people are doing their impression of 40mph[/p][/quote]My point is there is hardly enough room on the road for all the traffic. When you add cyclists in to the mix they normally come off worse! In rush hour traffic this is just compounded! Latchingdon
  • Score: -1

7:19am Fri 9 May 14

Latchingdon says...

An alternative view wrote:
Latchingdon: What's your point? should us cyclist of the Basin stay at home when hard working people are on their way to work?... if so I'm buggered.... And I must be missing those signs Reg.... as I'm trying to see round the bloody hedge on the left that blocks the view if you're turning right and people are doing their impression of 40mph
Forgot to mention.... I wasn't suggersting you stay at home (you said that). If that then buggers you - again, it is your choice to use which ever mode of transport you choose!

I think my comment firstly hoping that the cyclist is ok. was reasonable (and polite).And my second point that during rush hour traffic cars and cylists don't really mix is very accurate! However, it appears to have upset some people! Hmmmm I wonder why!!!!!!!
Personnally I'm up with cyclists who ride at night with no lights, But I guess thats another can of worms! :)
[quote][p][bold]An alternative view[/bold] wrote: Latchingdon: What's your point? should us cyclist of the Basin stay at home when hard working people are on their way to work?... if so I'm buggered.... And I must be missing those signs Reg.... as I'm trying to see round the bloody hedge on the left that blocks the view if you're turning right and people are doing their impression of 40mph[/p][/quote]Forgot to mention.... I wasn't suggersting you stay at home (you said that). If that then buggers you - again, it is your choice to use which ever mode of transport you choose! I think my comment firstly hoping that the cyclist is ok. was reasonable (and polite).And my second point that during rush hour traffic cars and cylists don't really mix is very accurate! However, it appears to have upset some people! Hmmmm I wonder why!!!!!!! Personnally I'm up with cyclists who ride at night with no lights, But I guess thats another can of worms! :) Latchingdon
  • Score: 0

11:46am Fri 9 May 14

DontForgetToBreathe says...

Just need to get this off my chest....

When cyclists in groups are 2 abreast, effectively taking up the whole road and you can see traffic building up behind you don't be surprised when you get verbal abuse as the cars pass.

If you want t have a chat with your friends get off and find a bench!
Just need to get this off my chest.... When cyclists in groups are 2 abreast, effectively taking up the whole road and you can see traffic building up behind you don't be surprised when you get verbal abuse as the cars pass. If you want t have a chat with your friends get off and find a bench! DontForgetToBreathe
  • Score: 4

12:55pm Fri 9 May 14

An alternative view says...

Latchingdon: Your argument is flawed, I'm a car driver, a cyclist and used to drive HGVs for 12 years, my wife rides horses, so for me it's pig headedness that some feel they have more rights than others that leads to cyclists...no actually, anyone that's isn't "you"... to be a seen as pain in the arse.

Cycling is perfectly legal, there are rules of the road to ensure we all stay safe, we don't know what happened here, all we can say is some thing went wrong, could be the cyclist, could be the car driver, *you* don't know, so pointing out that cyclists and cars don't mix is as useful as saying cars and cars don't mix when one of the many RTAs are reported on here.... I'm afraid old bean we can't keep the roads clear so you can get everywhere un-impeded 100% of the time.

I cycle to work often, its 10 miles each way, on country lanes, I arrive refreshed, rarely have any problems with any other road users (as is the same in my car) and it keeps me fit. If I have to make way for everyone in their car who can't appreciate others choices, then I just add to the congestion.... your "personal choice" comment just makes your argument look even more pitiful.... but you've rolled that one out many times on here.

I see rubbish cyclists too, but your underlying tone was "well your a cyclist its your own fault for your choice of transport".... that's the problem right there.

And Don'tForgetToBreath.
.. check out the Highway code, rule 66 for Cyclists, two abreast is not prohibited, and if you check with traffic police they actually encourage it on certain roads.
Latchingdon: Your argument is flawed, I'm a car driver, a cyclist and used to drive HGVs for 12 years, my wife rides horses, so for me it's pig headedness that some feel they have more rights than others that leads to cyclists...no actually, anyone that's isn't "you"... to be a seen as pain in the arse. Cycling is perfectly legal, there are rules of the road to ensure we all stay safe, we don't know what happened here, all we can say is some thing went wrong, could be the cyclist, could be the car driver, *you* don't know, so pointing out that cyclists and cars don't mix is as useful as saying cars and cars don't mix when one of the many RTAs are reported on here.... I'm afraid old bean we can't keep the roads clear so you can get everywhere un-impeded 100% of the time. I cycle to work often, its 10 miles each way, on country lanes, I arrive refreshed, rarely have any problems with any other road users (as is the same in my car) and it keeps me fit. If I have to make way for everyone in their car who can't appreciate others choices, then I just add to the congestion.... your "personal choice" comment just makes your argument look even more pitiful.... but you've rolled that one out many times on here. I see rubbish cyclists too, but your underlying tone was "well your a cyclist its your own fault for your choice of transport".... that's the problem right there. And Don'tForgetToBreath. .. check out the Highway code, rule 66 for Cyclists, two abreast is not prohibited, and if you check with traffic police they actually encourage it on certain roads. An alternative view
  • Score: 1

1:07pm Fri 9 May 14

DontForgetToBreathe says...

An alternative view wrote:
Latchingdon: Your argument is flawed, I'm a car driver, a cyclist and used to drive HGVs for 12 years, my wife rides horses, so for me it's pig headedness that some feel they have more rights than others that leads to cyclists...no actually, anyone that's isn't "you"... to be a seen as pain in the arse.

Cycling is perfectly legal, there are rules of the road to ensure we all stay safe, we don't know what happened here, all we can say is some thing went wrong, could be the cyclist, could be the car driver, *you* don't know, so pointing out that cyclists and cars don't mix is as useful as saying cars and cars don't mix when one of the many RTAs are reported on here.... I'm afraid old bean we can't keep the roads clear so you can get everywhere un-impeded 100% of the time.

I cycle to work often, its 10 miles each way, on country lanes, I arrive refreshed, rarely have any problems with any other road users (as is the same in my car) and it keeps me fit. If I have to make way for everyone in their car who can't appreciate others choices, then I just add to the congestion.... your "personal choice" comment just makes your argument look even more pitiful.... but you've rolled that one out many times on here.

I see rubbish cyclists too, but your underlying tone was "well your a cyclist its your own fault for your choice of transport".... that's the problem right there.

And Don'tForgetToBreath.

.. check out the Highway code, rule 66 for Cyclists, two abreast is not prohibited, and if you check with traffic police they actually encourage it on certain roads.
this is the part of rule 66 you mean?

"never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends"

The important bit for round here being the part about narrow roads.

2 abreast simply causes obstruction.
[quote][p][bold]An alternative view[/bold] wrote: Latchingdon: Your argument is flawed, I'm a car driver, a cyclist and used to drive HGVs for 12 years, my wife rides horses, so for me it's pig headedness that some feel they have more rights than others that leads to cyclists...no actually, anyone that's isn't "you"... to be a seen as pain in the arse. Cycling is perfectly legal, there are rules of the road to ensure we all stay safe, we don't know what happened here, all we can say is some thing went wrong, could be the cyclist, could be the car driver, *you* don't know, so pointing out that cyclists and cars don't mix is as useful as saying cars and cars don't mix when one of the many RTAs are reported on here.... I'm afraid old bean we can't keep the roads clear so you can get everywhere un-impeded 100% of the time. I cycle to work often, its 10 miles each way, on country lanes, I arrive refreshed, rarely have any problems with any other road users (as is the same in my car) and it keeps me fit. If I have to make way for everyone in their car who can't appreciate others choices, then I just add to the congestion.... your "personal choice" comment just makes your argument look even more pitiful.... but you've rolled that one out many times on here. I see rubbish cyclists too, but your underlying tone was "well your a cyclist its your own fault for your choice of transport".... that's the problem right there. And Don'tForgetToBreath. .. check out the Highway code, rule 66 for Cyclists, two abreast is not prohibited, and if you check with traffic police they actually encourage it on certain roads.[/p][/quote]this is the part of rule 66 you mean? "never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends" The important bit for round here being the part about narrow roads. 2 abreast simply causes obstruction. DontForgetToBreathe
  • Score: 0

11:00am Sat 10 May 14

Treeman1963 says...

The roads are barely wide enough for traffic. There's always going to be accidents whether motorists or cyclists are involved. Me? I'd prefer to be in a car where - hopefully - I'm better protected. Cyclists and motorists are equally likely to be involved in accidents but the outcome is likely to be worse for the former.
The roads are barely wide enough for traffic. There's always going to be accidents whether motorists or cyclists are involved. Me? I'd prefer to be in a car where - hopefully - I'm better protected. Cyclists and motorists are equally likely to be involved in accidents but the outcome is likely to be worse for the former. Treeman1963
  • Score: 0

7:10am Mon 12 May 14

Latchingdon says...

An alternative view wrote:
Latchingdon: Your argument is flawed, I'm a car driver, a cyclist and used to drive HGVs for 12 years, my wife rides horses, so for me it's pig headedness that some feel they have more rights than others that leads to cyclists...no actually, anyone that's isn't "you"... to be a seen as pain in the arse. Cycling is perfectly legal, there are rules of the road to ensure we all stay safe, we don't know what happened here, all we can say is some thing went wrong, could be the cyclist, could be the car driver, *you* don't know, so pointing out that cyclists and cars don't mix is as useful as saying cars and cars don't mix when one of the many RTAs are reported on here.... I'm afraid old bean we can't keep the roads clear so you can get everywhere un-impeded 100% of the time. I cycle to work often, its 10 miles each way, on country lanes, I arrive refreshed, rarely have any problems with any other road users (as is the same in my car) and it keeps me fit. If I have to make way for everyone in their car who can't appreciate others choices, then I just add to the congestion.... your "personal choice" comment just makes your argument look even more pitiful.... but you've rolled that one out many times on here. I see rubbish cyclists too, but your underlying tone was "well your a cyclist its your own fault for your choice of transport".... that's the problem right there. And Don'tForgetToBreath. .. check out the Highway code, rule 66 for Cyclists, two abreast is not prohibited, and if you check with traffic police they actually encourage it on certain roads.
I'm affraid it is you that is flawed. Again.... all I have said is there is little room on the raod for vehicles AND cyclists!! I personnaly do not care if your wife rides a horse! I think my point is made by the fact we are disscussing this story!!
[quote][p][bold]An alternative view[/bold] wrote: Latchingdon: Your argument is flawed, I'm a car driver, a cyclist and used to drive HGVs for 12 years, my wife rides horses, so for me it's pig headedness that some feel they have more rights than others that leads to cyclists...no actually, anyone that's isn't "you"... to be a seen as pain in the arse. Cycling is perfectly legal, there are rules of the road to ensure we all stay safe, we don't know what happened here, all we can say is some thing went wrong, could be the cyclist, could be the car driver, *you* don't know, so pointing out that cyclists and cars don't mix is as useful as saying cars and cars don't mix when one of the many RTAs are reported on here.... I'm afraid old bean we can't keep the roads clear so you can get everywhere un-impeded 100% of the time. I cycle to work often, its 10 miles each way, on country lanes, I arrive refreshed, rarely have any problems with any other road users (as is the same in my car) and it keeps me fit. If I have to make way for everyone in their car who can't appreciate others choices, then I just add to the congestion.... your "personal choice" comment just makes your argument look even more pitiful.... but you've rolled that one out many times on here. I see rubbish cyclists too, but your underlying tone was "well your a cyclist its your own fault for your choice of transport".... that's the problem right there. And Don'tForgetToBreath. .. check out the Highway code, rule 66 for Cyclists, two abreast is not prohibited, and if you check with traffic police they actually encourage it on certain roads.[/p][/quote]I'm affraid it is you that is flawed. Again.... all I have said is there is little room on the raod for vehicles AND cyclists!! I personnaly do not care if your wife rides a horse! I think my point is made by the fact we are disscussing this story!! Latchingdon
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree