MALDON and Tiptree’s play-off hopes were dealt a huge blow by Wroxham who staged a smash-and-grab to seal a 1-0 win, writes LEE WITNEY.

The Jammers were looking to bounce back from a disappointing Essex Senior Cup semi-final defeat at Redbridge during the week and were well backed as always by an impressive number of travelling fans.

There were first starts Harry Honesty, Adeteye Gbadehan and Hakeem Sandeh, who all came into the starting line-up.

The hosts started well and within two minutes, Jammers goalkeeper Luca Collins was forced into a smart save, pushing the ball wide for a corner.

Five minutes later, Wroxham were nearly ahead when a corner taken by Harley Black was sent crashing off the underside of the crossbar.

Gradually, the Jammers worked their way into the game, but couldn’t make their good play count; Sandeh's tame shot easily dealt with by Warren Burwood was as much as they could muster.

A half of few chances settled down as both sides probed, looking for a chance to break the deadlock.

Another Wroxham chance was headed over while Sandeh's shot were the last first-half efforts.

Maldon started the second half well and had a glorious chance to take the lead but just as it looked as if George Smith was about to head home, the ball was taken away from him.

With an hour gone, the Jammers were still in the ascendancy and Milton Oni fired over from a tight angle following great work from Sandeh in the middle before spraying the ball wide.

Michael Campbell spurned a great chance to give the hosts the lead as the ball broke to him, but he skied the ball over the bar.

But with 66 minutes gone, Wroxham took a barely deserved lead through Joao Rangel.

His initial shot was blocked, but he made no mistake with the rebound, smashing the ball into the top corner.

As the rain continued to batter Norfolk, the game fell into farce with players barely able to stay on their feet.

With a little over ten minutes left, a Maldon free-kick was punched away by Burwood and when the ball was put back into the box, Jayden Randell headed just over.

There was still time for Ryan Miles to draw a good save from Collins to keep Maldon in with a sniff, but the Jammers fell to a third straight league defeat.