MALDON and Tiptree suffered more misfortune after they were sunk by an early goal to lose 1-0 at high-flying Walthamstow in a game they deserved more from, writes LEE WITNEY.

It wasn't to be for the Jammers who on another day should have taken at least a point from their latest Pitching In Isthmian League division north game.

After an even opening 15 minutes, Maldon fell behind.

The goal came from a poor giveaway on the edge of the box and the ball was played across to the right hand side to Damaray Anyadike, who found himself with only Tom Middlehurst to beat.

His initial shot drew a great save from the Maldon goalkeeper off his chest, but the luck was on Anyadike's side as the ball cannoned back off his knee and rolled over the line.

Maldon settled and four minutes after the restart, Alex Clark's great pull back found Shane Temple on the edge of the box, but his low drive was saved by the feet of goalkeeper, Matthew Nolan.

Back at the other end, Temple had a great chance to level the score, but couldn't pull the trigger in time and the ball was scrambled away by the Walthamstow defence for a corner which was cleared.

Just after the half hour mark, it should have been 1-1 when a smart bit of play from Chris Gregan to play a free-kick short to Clark caught the home side unaware.

Clark in turn, played a great ball into Temple, but his shot clipped the outside of a post and ran away for a goal-kick.

The end of the first half was end to end.

Anyadike was denied a second of the afternoon in stunning fashion by a Middlehurst double save - first with his legs and then making himself big to save with his chest.

The last chance of the half fell Maldon's way, as the post came to Walthamstow's rescue again with the Jammers forcing a corner. New man Gipson got his head to it but he too, was denied by the post.

The Jammers started the second half well and won an early free-kick high in the Walthamstow half.

Andre's initial attempt hit the first man, but the ball was recovered and Gipson won another free-kick: this time right on the edge of the Walthamstow penalty box. Clark took, but put his effort just over the bar.

With about 18 minutes left, the chance we'd been waiting for came and sadly went.

Some great play between Andre and Callum set the returning George Smith through with only Nolan to beat, but the Maldon man blazed over.

With time running out, it was the hosts who nearly made the game safe, Anyadike crossing in to the back post, where he found Duncan Culley, but he fluffed his effort with the goal seemingly at his mercy as the ball spun out for a goal-kick.

On 85 minutes, Culley nearly capitalised on a mix up between Middlehurst and Edwards.

A poor backpass put the keeper under pressure, who miskicked.

Culley stepped in to take the loose ball, Middlehurst tried to tackle him while on the ground, but the ball was just out of reach.

With the goal gaping and a second goal seemingly inevitable, Culley put his shot wide of the target.

In stoppage time, the game went from the ridiculous to the absolutely sublime.

Egbri and Wilson, on as second-half substitutes, linked up well with the latter playing the ball infield to Terrell who let fly from 25 yards.

The ball was destined for the top corner but Nolan made a world-class save, tipping the ball over the bar to deny Maldon a share of the spoils.

With no game next week, there's a two-week break before Maldon return to league action against Brightlingsea Regent on September 30.