MALDON and Tiptree exited a second cup competition in a week as Jeffrey Cobblah's brace bookended a Ronnie Bates goal to give Witham Town a 3-0 FA Trophy win on a scorching hot Essex afternoon, writes LEE WITNEY.

The Jammers started well and after ten minutes, some good down the Jammers right between Egbri and El-Neyah produced the first real chance of the game, with Egbri latching on to Yassine’s through ball.

Unfortunately for Terrell, he sliced his shot and when the loose ball fell to new man Temple, he was dispossessed before he brought the ball under control.

A long clearance upfield from Middlehurst found Egbri and after more good interplay between him and Yassine, the ball was moved infield to Temple who had angled his run into the Witham box.

But he dragged his shot just past the post via a deflection for a corner.

Maldon were awarded a free-kick just outside the box on the half hour mark when Andre Hasanally was crudely pulled down by Oliver Bell, who somehow escaped without a caution.

Hasanally took the free-kick and his fierce effort bounced in front of goalkeeper Amarildo Cekrezi, who shovelled it back out into danger.

The Witham stopper had luck on his side though, and Temple’s rebounded effort landed back into his hands.

With half-time and the promise of some much-needed shade approaching, the home side had loud penalty appeals rejected.

And at the other end, more good one-touch play from Maldon, this time from Hasanally and El-Neyah allowed the former the chance to cross, but it was over hit and the chance was gone.

Within five minutes of the restart, Maldon were made to pay for spurning their chances in the first half when Cobblah struck to give Witham the lead, latching onto a long ball through the middle to lift his effort over an onrushing Middlehurst.

With their place in the Trophy in peril, the Jammers set about finding an equaliser and nearly got it in spectacular fashion on the hour when Hasanally thundered a pile-driver off the Witham crossbar from 30 yards.

After clearing their lines, Witham nearly made it 2-0 when Guy Norton cleared a goalbound effort off the line, and a minute later the hosts got a second.

Cobblah saw a great effort matched by the save from Middlehurst, but ex-Jammer Ronnie Bates reacted quickest to wonderfully convert the rebound after 65 minutes to leave Maldon in all sorts of trouble.

Barring more good goalkeeping from Middlehurst it would have been three, tipping a whipped, low effort around his near post for a corner and then again to paw away a long-range effort from the resulting corner.

Alex Clark, on as a sub, nearly reduced the arrears with 15 left to play, driving a low shot towards goal that was well saved by the feet of Cekrezi, with the ball spinning over his own bar for a corner.

Witham were then denied a third after 80 minutes, with Munashe Mharapara's effort rattling the inside of a post and rebounding out.

Despite furious appeals from everyone in a Witham shirt, the referee and his assistant waved play on.

They needn't have worried, though, as with five minutes to go, Cobblah bagged his second of the game from the spot after a handball in the box.

Maldon visit Bowers and Pitsea on Tuesday night, in the Velocity League Cup.