THE chasing pack made up ground on an eventful day of BetVictor Isthmian League action.

With division north leaders Bury Town inactive, second-placed MALDON AND TIPTREE had the chance to go top but instead needed a late equaliser to salvage a share of the spoils at home to Histon.

Ed Rolph put the visitors ahead nine minutes from time and a shock result looked on the cards.

However, Lance Akins levelled two minutes from time to snatch a point for Wayne Brown’s FA Cup heroes.

It was the first time this season they have dropped points, having won their first eight matches of an incredible campaign so far.

Maldon’s result opened the door for a clutch of sides just below to make up ground.

Neighbours COGGESHALL TOWN and HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS are both now breathing down the Jammers' necks on 24 points.

Swifts are third, on goal difference, after running out 2-1 winners at Cambridge City.

Evans Kouassi handed them a ninth-minute lead and although Jordan Gent equalised just before half-time, Toib Adeyemi pounced just after the restart to wrap up an impressive victory for Karl Duguid’s men.

Coggeshall are fourth, and unbeaten in four league matches, after coming from behind to secure an exciting 3-2 victory at Romford.

Phil Roberts gave the hosts an early lead but the Seedgrowers responded with quickfire goals from Ross Wall (29), Euin McKeown (33) and Tevan Allen (35).

It put them firmly in the driving seat at half-time and although Freddy Moncur pulled one back just before the hour-mark, Coggeshall held firm for victory.

A little further down the table, Marcus Bowers was the two-goal hero but WITHAM TOWN had to be content with a 3-3 draw at AFC Sudbury.

Sean Marks cancelled out his first effort but Scott Kemp notched just before the break to make it 2-1.

Bowers scored again on the hour-mark but Callum Harrison grabbed the hosts’ second before a late leveller from Tom Dettmar.

Elsewhere, BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT were unable to halt the progress of promotion-chasing Cray Wanderers.

The visitors climbed to third thanks to a first-half brace from Joseph Taylor.

His goals came in the space of just three minutes, first lashing home from close range after a left-wing free-kick was headed down at the far post.

Regent skipper Matt Cripps was then alleged to have tripped a Cray player as he cut into the box and Taylor slotted home from the spot, sending a low effort past keeper Charlie Turner.

Brightlingsea’s chances suffered a further blow just after the hour-mark following a red card for right-back Fahad Nazar.

Kem Izzet’s side are second from bottom and face a quick return to action as they travel to Carshalton Athletic on Monday night.