Some impressive firepower put one of our local clubs in line for the Thurlow Nunn League performance of the day, but it was actually a superb comeback that has earned the award this week.

There were some intriguing results in both divisions, but we start in division one south where it was a thoroughly depressing day at the Milbank Stadium for leaders Halstead Town.

The Humbugs not only lost 3-0 to visiting Frenford, but then saw their top spot in the division head to other hands thanks to a last minute goal at Little Oakley.

Those other hands were White Ensign's as Halstead were deposed on goal difference.

Despite their dismal display, it had looked like Halstead would hold on to top spot as White Ensign were drawing 1-1 at Little Oakley, who had had Greg Rodgers on target.

However, a strike with almost the final kick of the game not only denied new Acorns boss Matt Carmichael a point in his first game in charge, but gave White Ensign top spot in the table.

Another side pressuring Halstead at the top are Hashtag United, who beat Brightlingsea Regent Reserves 3-0, while another side hitting three goals were Harwich & Parkeston.

The Shrimpers made it three wins in a row with a 3-2 victory at Burnham Ramblers thanks to a Tyler Rose double and a goal on his debut from Elliot Johnson.

However, no-one could match the scoring on the day of Braintree Town Reserves.

The Young Irons had been beaten 6-0 by Halstead the week before, but including eight players from their first-team squad - who were without a Vanarama National League game - turned fortunes around as they beat May & Baker 7-2.

Christie Pattison and Dan Thompson scored braces, while Marcel Barrington fired in from the penalty spot and Luke Allen and Jake Cass were also on target for Braintree.

It was a stand-out result among the division one south action, but perhaps one to be expected after drafting in some high-quality players and that's why the Young Irons miss out on our star performance award.

Instead it goes to the Rush Green Bowl, where FC Clacton were 3-1 winners against Thetford Town in the premier division.

The Seasiders had been trailing at half-time but staged a great comeback with an own goal added to strikes from Matt Eve and Jack Clampin as they claimed the result of the day honours.

There was disappointment for Brantham Athletic, though, as they were beaten 2-0 in the premier division at Stowmarket Town.

Meanwhile, Holland FC's division one south game against Coggeshall United was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch at Holland.

In Essex Senior League action, Stanway Rovers enjoyed their first success under new manager Terry Spillane as they booked their place in the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy semi-finals with a 3-1 home win against Redbridge.