BILLY Hunt popped up with a precious late winner as BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT sunk Canvey Island 1-0 to advance into the second qualifying round of the FA Trophy.

The striker slotted home from the penalty spot nine minutes from time to settle a hard-fought contest at the Frost Financial Stadium.

The referee pointed to the spot after Hunt himself was fouled by George Allen.

And after dusting himself down, the prolific frontman fired home to put Regent in the hat for Monday’s draw.

In the process, Regent pocketed £3,250 in prize money and the second qualifying round matches will be staged in a fortnight, on November 10.

Elsewhere, WITHAM TOWN bowed out after a 2-1 defeat at Bostik League south-east division side Herne Bay.

Bradley Schafer put the hosts ahead midway through the first half.

Alejandro Seonne-Barber equalised after the break but Connor Wilkins popped up with a 71st-minute winner for the Kent side.

MALDON AND TIPTREE crashed out after a 3-0 defeat at home to Royston Town.

All the goals came in the first half, with James Pottin’s 12th-minute opener being swiftly followed by strikes from Vance Bola (19) and Adam Murray (45).

In complete contrast, neighbours HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS started strongly and got themselves in a strong position in their Bostik League division north match at home to Felixstowe and Walton United.

Harrison Chatting (19) and Daniel Walker (33) put them in the driving seat and Matthew Price’s penalty, just after half-time, made it 3-0.

Chatting scored again but Felixstowe made the scoreline respectable thanks to late goals from Jack Ainsley, from the penalty spot, and Miles Powell.

Daniel Davis saw red for the Suffolk side in a match that finished 4-2.

COGGESHALL TOWN were also in division north action and won 4-0 at home to Grays Athletic.

Sam Bantick continued his purple patch since signing for the club by scoring his side’s opener in the 24th minute.

Ross Wall, Jamie Shaw and Connor Hubble, from the penalty spot, then netted after the break to complete a comfortable victory at West Street.

Grays’ Adalberto Pinto saw red in the closing stages, on his debut.