THERE were goals galore in a dramatic showdown between Bostik League rivals COGGESHALL TOWN and Canvey Island.

The division north rivals, who started the day sitting sixth and seventh respectively, eventually shared the spoils from a thrilling 3-3 draw at West Street.

Canvey seized the initiative with first-half strikes from Frankie Merrifield and Martin Tuohy.

Sam Bantick pulled one back on the stroke of half-time but another Sam, Canvey’s Collins, restored his side’s two-goal advantage in the 69th minute.

Within seconds, Nnamdi Nwachuku trimmed the deficit by scoring his side’s second and Bantick popped up with a dramatic equaliser ten minutes from time. Coggeshall are now unbeaten in six matches.

There was a clash of two big guns as promotion contenders Bowers and Pitsea and MALDON AND TIPTREE met at the Len Salmon Stadium.

Bowers started the day sitting third in the table, with the Jammers fourth, and after a hard-fought 90 minutes it finished all-square at 0-0.

However, what the game lacked in goals, it more than made up for in drama and especially red cards.

Three players were sent off – two for Bowers and one for Maldon.

Richard Halle was first to go, swiftly followed by the Jammers’ Matthew Briggs.

Bowers’ Ben Sartain then became the third player to be sent for an early bath, in the closing seconds.

The result means the hosts are still unbeaten, having won four and drawn four of their opening eight matches.

Two goals in quick succession set HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS on the road to victory in their match at home to Brentwood.

Matthew Price put them ahead on the quarter-hour mark and Kreshnic Krasniqi quickly made it 2-0.

Ryan Mallett pulled one back on the hour-mark but Harrison Chatting put the cherry on Swifts’ cake, scoring in the 90th minute.

Swifts have now won four in a row and are up to fourth in the table.

There were also two first-half goals in the match between Great Wakering Rovers and second-from-bottom WITHAM TOWN.

However, both went to the hosts, who eventually won 2-1.

Billy Johnson gave Wakering an early advantage and Marcus Bowers confirmed their superiority in the 39th minute.

Sam Ashford pulled one back in the closing stages but by then it was too little, too late.

Witham have now lost five in a row.

BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT were without a game on Saturday as scheduled opponents Worthing were in FA Cup action at Ebbsfleet United.

The fixture has now been fixed for November 27.

Regent return to Bostik League action on Tuesday night, at Harlow Town.

Maldon are back in league action on Tuesday night, at home to AFC Sudbury, while in the Essex Senior Cup Coggeshall have a home date with Barking and Witham go to Hullbridge Sports.

Both ties are in the third round.