QUICKFIRE goals deep in the second half inspired BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT to an excellent 3-0 victory at home to Worthing.

The R’s continued their bright start to 2018 – making it seven points from nine – thanks to precious strikes from Josh Gould and two-goal hero Billy Hunt.

Gould’s opener came in the 70th minute, reacting quickly to steer home the loose ball after keeper Lucas Cavagnari could only parry Harry McDonald’s shot.

And three minutes later it was 2-0, after a needless push in the area on Gould.

Top-scorer Hunt stepped forward to confidently convert from the spot.

Worthing were reduced to ten men following a red card for Alfie Young.

And Hunt added the third goal three minutes from time, compounding the visitors’ misery, after drilling a low effort into the bottom corner from just outside the box.

It was a fantastic result for Tom Rothery’s side, who, after a disappointing Christmas, had won at Lowestoft on New Year’s Day before drawing at Metropolitan Police last Saturday.

Neither side created a gilt-edged chance in the opening period.

Regent’s best efforts came from Hunt and Louie Newland.

The former drove an effort wide of the near-post while Newland’s precision shot from distance was well-held by Cavagnari.

At the other end, Kieron Pamment showed great technique to turn and volley from 25 yards.

However, his effort was safely gathered by R’s keeper Harry Palmer.

Aside from the goals, the best chance of the game came straight after half-time.

When Palmer was called on to beat away a low shot, the loose ball spun out to the left.

It was then drilled back across goal but Alex Parsons, with the net at his mercy, lifted his close-range effort over the Regent bar.

Brightlingsea handed a full debut to new signing Billy Clark and he lasted 55 minutes before being replaced by Rob Harvey.

Young Colchester United defender George Keys, another new recruit last week on a work experience loan, was among the substitutes.

Elsewhere, it was a memorable day for WITHAM TOWN.

Adam Flint’s side romped to a 3-0 victory at Tilbury, in the north division, with all their goals coming during an eventful first half at Chadfields.

Correy Davidson broke the deadlock just after the quarter-hour mark and Elliott Ronto soon made it 2-0.

Davidson then added his second just before the break to effectively make the points safe, barring an unlikely home fightback.

Witham head to Bury Town on Tuesday night.

MALDON AND TIPTREE entertained Romford at Park Drive but suffered a 2-1 defeat.

After a goalless first period, Harry Daly and Chris Taylor netted to put the visitors in control, before Oluwole Akinsanya grabbed a consolation to give the Jammers hope.