BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT stormed back to winning ways with a 5-2 demolition of Burgess Hill Town tonight.

The R’s went into the match on the back of two narrow defeats – both following heart-breaking late winners – but responded in style with an accomplished performance at the Taydal Stadium.

Sam Ashford and Matt Cripps netted before the break and Aaron Condon and Billy Hunt extending their lead, before Pat Harding pulled one back for Burgess Hill.

Hunt put the cherry on the cake with a late fifth, before Charlie Bennett added a second for the Sussex visitors.

Regent got off to a dream start with a goal in the first minute.

Almost from the kick-off, Hunt got past his man down the left and delivered a perfect cross that was headed in by Ashford.

Keeper Max Hunter got a hand to the effort but was powerless to keep it out.

Hunt tested the shot-stopper again soon after, this time from distance after being played in by Jake Turner.

But Regent’s second followed five minutes before half-time through Cripps.

The skipper powerfully headed in Condon’s corner, with his effort going in via the underside of the bar.

Condon made it three a couple of minutes into the second half, seeing his low free-kick from the edge of the box deflect into the net.

And soon it was 4-0, thanks to the dangerous Hunt.

The striker ran into the box and skipped round one challenge before being brought down.

It appeared a stonewall penalty and Hunt made no mistake from the spot, hammering his effort beyond Hunter.

Burgess Hill gave themselves a lifeline six minutes later with an accurate volleyed effort from Harding.

But it proved only a consolation and Brightlingsea added their fifth through Hunt, who nodded home from close range after great work and a teasing cross from substitute Harry McDonald.

Almost straight from the kick-off, Bennett scored with an accurate finish for Burgess Hill but the result continued Regent’s strong form at the Taydal Stadium.

While disappointed to lose at home to Folkestone Invicta on Saturday, they have now won six of their nine matches at the North Road ground.

Elsewhere tonight, MALDON AND TIPTREE had been due to visit Potters Bar Town.

However, the division north match had to be postponed after the Jammers’ team mini-bus, carrying eight of their players and members of the management team, was involved in a crash on the M25.

However, the club have reported that those on board escaped with only cuts and bruises.

The Maldon Twitter feed says an update will be posted in the next 48 hours.

In the Thurlow Nunn League premier division, COGGESHALL TOWN drew 1-1 at Haverhill Rovers.

BRANTHAM ATHLETIC won 2-1 at home to neighbours Hadleigh United.