This week in Down Memory Lane we revisit Stanford-le-Hope

In the first photo, dated 1905, we see the Post Office originally on the green then moved to the High Street in 1910.

In the photo taken in 1924 the building is still used as a shop today. Next we see the junction of Wharf Road with the Green. The tree featured was a main meeting place.

Lastly we see Ivy Walls in Billet Lane. This photograph shows the fine Elizabethan farmhouse. Joseph Conrad, the author, moved there on March 12, 1897, and it was here that his first son, Borys, was born on January 15, 1898.

The present house, which occupies the site, was built in the 1920s.