AN 11-year-old boy who was hit by a car during the school run narrowly avoided death because he was wearing his rucksack.

Mylo Fryett was walking along Cressing Road, Braintree, at about 8.30am on Monday morning when he was struck by a Ford Focus.

The youngster was thrown into the air before landing on the car windscreen.

Police and paramedics attended the scene and Mylo was swiftly taken off to Broomfield Hospital for emergency surgery.

It has since been revealed the student suffered a fractured leg, suspected broken elbow, torn spleen and a suspected torn bladder.

Grandad Mark Harvey said: “They had to pin his leg because it was absolutely shattered.

“He’s already had major surgery and he still needs a few more operations.

“It’s going to take a long time before he is better. He is black and blue all over.

“His mum has been traumatised by the whole thing.”

Mr Harvey went on to praise a number of students, believed to be from the Alec Hunter Academy, who ran to Mylo’s aid after the collision.

He added: “One of them ran over and sat with him and held his head until the ambulance arrived.

“They were brilliant and I think the school is going to give them a commendation for it.

“The crash was no-one’s fault and it could have been a lot worse.

“The police said Mylo only survived because he was wearing a rucksack which was full.

“He landed on his back and his head banged against the windscreen so it’s surprising he doesn’t have any neck or head injuries.

“He had a metal box in his rucksack for a cooking class which was completely flattened and his lunchbox had shattered into pieces.”

Cressing Road was closed to traffic throughout the morning to allow police and paramedics to work at the scene.

An air ambulance was also called in to assist.

A spokesman for Essex Police said: “We were called to reports of a collision involving a grey Ford Focus and a pedestrian on Cressing Road, Braintree, shortly before 8.30am on Monday, May 13.

“Officers and paramedics arrived and a 11-year-old boy was taken to hospital with non-life-changing injuries.

“The road was re-opened after it was temporarily closed. No arrests have been made.”