A FATHER-OF-TWO has been left scarred for life after he was attacked from behind while enjoying a night out.

Police believe Paul Filtness, 34, was “slashed” in the face with a belt in a vicious attack at Bentley’s Bar, in Clacton.

Paul and close friend Daniel Findlay were exiting the toilet when the attack was launched.

“It was unprovoked,” said Paul.

“I might go out and have a good time, but I have no desire to get in a fight.

“We went into the toilet, there were two men standing in there.

“One turned around and said ‘what did you say mate?’

“My friend said ‘I’m washing my hands and walking out that door.’

“We headed out the door and as we came out Dan was in front of me.

“I felt someone barge past me and felt a scratch down the side of my face.

“I began to chase after him, but the bouncer and Dan had seen my face and stopped me.”

Paul was taken to Broomfield Hospital, in Chelmsford, where he received 32 external stitches to his face.

He was told he will be scarred for life.

“I had to tell me children what happened,” Paul added.

“My son is nine and my daughter is seven, but I’m not going to sugar-coat it.

“They need to know what the wider world is like.

“Yesterday I felt so scared. I keep having moments where I break down.

“It needs to be put out there that this kind of thing isn’t restricted to London anymore.

“Clacton is a little seaside town and it is no different.

“I’ve lived here all my life, I take my kids to the amusement arcade, but people are scared to go out now.”

Dan added: “I saw one of them wrapping a belt around his hand.

“I turned around and Paul was covered in blood.

“Who does this sort of thing to someone?”

Paul’s father, Paul senior, said: “I sat and watched my son’s face being sewn up.

“It was horrific in one way and impressive in another. They did amazingly well.

“I have nothing but gratitude for the way the NHS and the police have handled this.”

The attack happened at 1am on Sunday.

Yesterday Essex Police arrested a 23-year-old man on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.

He was released on bail until March 4.