A HOUSE has suffered severe fire and smoke damage just days before Christmas after a candle sparked a blaze in Essex.

Fire crews from Colchester and Maldon were called to Doubleday Drive in Heybridge shortly before 4pm yesterday.

Upon arrival, they found the terraced house full of smoke and fire raging in the living room.

The blaze was started after a candle was left unattended.

Firefighters extinguished the fire quickly and stopped it from spreading to neighbouring homes.

The house has been badly fire and smoke damaged.

Maldon and Burnham Standard: The house in Heybridge has been badly fire and smoke damagedThe house in Heybridge has been badly fire and smoke damaged (Image: ECFRS)

Firefighters are now urging everyone living in Essex to extinguish candles every time they need to leave the room.

It is the second time in days a home has been damaged by a fire after a candle was left unattended.

Crews were called to Felmongers in Harlow at 2.49pm on Thursday, December 21, after neighbours heard smoke alarms going off. 

On arrival, crews reported that the house was heavily smoke-logged. 

Firefighters entered the home and rescued a dog. 

They found a fire in the front room and believe it was caused by an unattended candle that had overheated on a glass table. 

The house was also badly damaged by fire and smoke.

Maldon and Burnham Standard: A home in Harlow was also damaged due to a candle fire just days agoA home in Harlow was also damaged due to a candle fire just days ago (Image: ECFRS)

Watch Manager Steve Allen, from Harlow fire station, said: “Please make sure to blow any candles out every time you need to leave the room, even if you’re only leaving for a moment. 

“Our advice would be to swap real candles for LED candles - they’re much safer.

“We’d also like to highlight the importance of having working smoke alarms. They’re not just there to alert you to a fire but your neighbours and any passers-by too if you’re not home. 

“If you or someone you know doesn’t have working smoke alarms at home, we can fit them for free. Get in touch with our team at essex-fire.gov.uk/book.”