FIREFIGHTERS attended the scene of a car which was engulfed in flames this morning.

Essex Fire and Rescue Service was called to Station Road today (January 17) at 8.04am.

Residents and motorists reported seeing smoke coming from the Lidl car park, which was said could be seen in the air throughout the town.

On arrival Maldon firefighters confirmed a Mercedes Estate car was "100 per cent alight".

On-call firefighters used two hose reel jets to extinguish the fire by 8.34am.

Martin Cable, Maldon Fire Station watch manager, said: "The fire was caused by an electrical fault in the rear of the car.

"As the driver pulled out of the car park, the warning lights came on and the car started to smoke."

Nobody was injured in the fire.

Lidl has confirmed the incident took place in the far end of its car park.

To read Lidl's statement on the fire, click here.

Have you got a local story or picture you would like to share with us? Send us your news here.