FIREFIGHTERS have issued safety advice after a shed fire yesterday which quickly spread.

Crews were called to reports of a fire in a garden in Galleywood Road, Chelmsford, yesterday (November 3) at 10.04am.

They found a shed completely alight at the end of the garden.

Temporary Watch Manager Mark Curtis said: "The occupant had been clearing the garden and burning waste in an incinerator.

"Unfortunately, it was too close to a large shed and it caught fire. He had only left it unattended for a few minutes but the shed was completely alight and the fire had spread to trees and bushes.

"Thankfully, we were quickly on the scene and crews worked hard to stop it spreading further.

"Never leave any type of incinerator or open fire unattended and set it up well away from trees, sheds, fences, houses and garages.”

The fire was fully extinguished by 10.33am.

After this Essex Fire and Rescue Service have issued the following safety advice for residents planning to burn waste in their garden:

  • Site the bonfire well away from houses, garages, sheds, fences, overhead cables, trees and shrubs
  • Never leave the bonfire burning unattended
  • Make sure the stack is stable
  • Never use flammable liquids - paraffin or petrol - to light the fire
  • Don't burn foam-filled furniture, aerosols, tins of paint and bottles
  • Keep everyone, especially children, away from the fire
  • Pour water on the embers before leaving