Fire crews stopped an outbuilding fire from spreading to houses.

On-call firefighters were called to Wantz Road, Maldon today (Tuesday, June 30) at 6.14am and found a large shed alight.

The fire had also spread to a pergola in the neighbouring garden.

Crews worked hard to contain the fire and, as a result, two houses affected only sustained slight damage due to the heat.

The fire was extinguished by 7.15am.

The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental.

It is believed it started when a marine battery being charged overheated.