THE wife of a cyclist who died after suffering heart failure in Maldon High Street has thanked the people came to his aid.

John Weedon, of Mill Road sadly passed away after collapsing on his bike in the high street on July 31.

A host of shop workers, passersby, a priest from All Saints Church tried to save Mr Weedon as they waited for the emergency services to arrive.

John's wife, Mavis praised the members of the public who supported her husband as they waited for police, paramedics and an air ambulance to take over.

She said: "My family and I are very touched by all of those for their efforts and for the use of a defibrillator.

"We cannot thank them enough.

"We are so grateful to them all.

"We have been told that John suffered heart failure, fell off his bike and he would not have felt anything.

"It is a comfort to know he did not suffer.

"He died doing what he wanted to do right to the end.”

John was 84 at the time of his death.

He met Mavis in Wansted when they were both 22.

They moved to Chelmsford where John spent his entire career working at the former Marconi Radio Factory.

During that time John and Mavis had three sons, who brought them another eight grandsons and one step-granddaughter.

After John's retirement, the couple moved around a few areas of Maldon District, living in Latchingdon and eventually settling in Mill Road, Maldon.

Mavis said: "When we moved to the property, John spent countless hours renovating it, because that is one of the things he always wanted to do."

He was an enthusiastic photographer and member of the Maldon Camera Club for more than 30 years.

John's work was even published in the Maldon and Burnham Standard on a few occasions, which Mavis said was a "proud" moment for him.

For a number of years the couple had explored Europe in a motor home, taking it to many places on the continent including Tuscany and Norway.

After giving the motor home up, they continued travelling by way of coach trips.

Just two weeks before his death, John and Mavis had returned from a week in Scotland.

A memorial service was held at St Mary’s Church, Maldon on Monday August 12 and John's cremation took place at Chelmsford Crematorium on September 4.