QUICK action from residents and fire fighters helped put out a van fire in Maldon without serious injury.

Firefighters were called to Fitches Crescent, Maldon on Thursday evening after a van caught fire.

Barry Mynard, who lives on the road, said: “The quick response from the fire brigade managed to put the van out after it caught fire after an electrical fault on the coil.

“Residents from the house next to the van got out of the house after one of the daughters noticed smoke and flames passing her bedroom window and alerted her parents.

“They took action and got all three daughters out of the house just in case the van’s fuel tank blew.

“Other residents removed any vehicles near so the fire would not escalate. Thankfully no one was hurt and the fire brigade put it out within minutes.”

A fire service spokesman said: “Firefighters were called at 8.15pm on Thursday July 7 to tackle a vehicle fire in Fitch’s Crescent, Maldon.

“Fire crews had extinguished the fire by 8.35pm. The cause of the fire was recorded as accident due to a faulty fuel supply.”