It was a bad night in the Ryman League for Heybridge Swifts, Maldon and Tiptree and Burnham Ramblers.

All three sides fell to defeat in their Ryman League division one north fixtures.

It was the battle of the brothers as Needham Market’s Sam Newson took on Swifts Ben Newson Ben Newson went close for Swifts on 20 minutes when he was denied by a good block.

But it was brother Sam that broke the deadlock four minutes later with a volley over Ashley Harrison in the Swifts goal.

Sam Newson then went close to doubling Needham’s lead a few minutes later.

But Heybridge equalised on the stroke of half-time when Jamie Guy, on his return to Needham, glanced home a Danny Barber free-kick.

Needham had two penalty appeals waved away in the second half much to the anger of the home team.

But on 81 minutes they were awarded a spot kick after a foul on Ollie Fenn and former Colchester United player Kem Izzet sent Harrison the wrong way for a 2-1 win.

Maldon and Tiptree lost out 2-1 at Ware.

The visitors fell behind to an early goal when Kieran Bishop struck in the ninth minute.

Maldon found themselves 2-0 down when Bishop added another five minutes later.

Bradley Hunter pulled a goal back for Maldon on 75 minutes.

Ware went down to ten men on 90 minutes when Murat Karagul was sent off but the visitors couldn’t take advantage to find an equaliser.

Burnham Ramblers fell to a 5-2 defeat against visiting Harlow Town.

Ramblers fell behind in the second minute of the game when James Smith fired home.

But the home side didn’t leave it long to draw level when Dan Williams equalised two minutes later.

However, the scoreboard was troubled again on ten Minutes when Alex Read regained the lead for Harlow.

Junior Dadson then made it 3-1 as the visitors stretched their lead on 14 minutes.

After the early flurry of goals it wasn’t until the second half that Burnham reduced the deficit when Billy Hunt pulled one back.

However, Read restored the visitors two-goal cushion on 72 minutes.

And Dadson made it worse for Ramblers on 90 minutes when he made it 5-2.