'On yer bike' - Take to two wheels and celebrate National Cycle to Work Day

'On yer bike' - Take to two wheels and celebrate National Cycle to Work Day

'On yer bike' - Take to two wheels and celebrate National Cycle to Work Day

First published in South Essex

SWITCH four wheels for two on Thursday (September 4) and celebrate National Cycle to Work Day.

The day is championed by Paralympic gold medallist Dame Sarah Storey and aims to get commuters across the UK to cycle half a million miles.

In Southend the council’s cycling team, Ideas in Motion, are urging participants to pledge their miles on the website www.cycletoworkday.org In preparation for the day Cycles UK, in Prince Avenue, are offering free bike health checks.

If you don’t have a bike you can always hire one for the day from The Comfy Saddle, at Central Station, where you can also get a routine bike check free of charge, or the Bike & Go scheme at Southend Victoria.

Martin Terry, Southend councillor for public protection, waste and transport, said: “Cycling to work is good for your health, your wallet and the environment. “Not only that, but it also helps to relieve traffic on our busy roads, particularly at peak times, meaning everyone gets where they need to be quicker.

“That’s why we want as many people as possible in the Borough to get their bikes on September 4 and share their stories and pictures with the Ideas in Motion Team.”

Share your cycling stories and selfies via social media using #cycletoworkday

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:00pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Keptquiettillnow says...

Martin Terry, Southend councillor for public protection, waste and transport.
If you really believe what you are saying, why is your council still not building high quality cycle infrastructure. Why do you only cater to one road user?
If you really want people on bikes you have go to do more than a few areas of 'shared space'
Martin Terry, Southend councillor for public protection, waste and transport. If you really believe what you are saying, why is your council still not building high quality cycle infrastructure. Why do you only cater to one road user? If you really want people on bikes you have go to do more than a few areas of 'shared space' Keptquiettillnow
  • Score: -11

6:07pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Kim Gandy says...

oh god, not more lycra clad rear ends to crawl behind on B roads
oh god, not more lycra clad rear ends to crawl behind on B roads Kim Gandy
  • Score: 8

8:52pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Robin Reliant says...

didn't sbc buy lots of electric bikes for employees and they never got used?
didn't sbc buy lots of electric bikes for employees and they never got used? Robin Reliant
  • Score: 0

9:32pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Almeda11 says...

Kim Gandy wrote:
oh god, not more lycra clad rear ends to crawl behind on B roads
So take a different route, nobody has to follow anyone, there are plenty of other roads.
[quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: oh god, not more lycra clad rear ends to crawl behind on B roads[/p][/quote]So take a different route, nobody has to follow anyone, there are plenty of other roads. Almeda11
  • Score: -8

10:48pm Mon 1 Sep 14

Almeda11 says...

Almeda11 wrote:
Kim Gandy wrote:
oh god, not more lycra clad rear ends to crawl behind on B roads
So take a different route, nobody has to follow anyone, there are plenty of other roads.
lt`s true though, sad though that some people don`t like the truth !
[quote][p][bold]Almeda11[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Kim Gandy[/bold] wrote: oh god, not more lycra clad rear ends to crawl behind on B roads[/p][/quote]So take a different route, nobody has to follow anyone, there are plenty of other roads.[/p][/quote]lt`s true though, sad though that some people don`t like the truth ! Almeda11
  • Score: -6

5:51am Tue 2 Sep 14

Eric the Red says...

Keptquiettillnow wrote:
Martin Terry, Southend councillor for public protection, waste and transport.
If you really believe what you are saying, why is your council still not building high quality cycle infrastructure. Why do you only cater to one road user?
If you really want people on bikes you have go to do more than a few areas of 'shared space'
Quite right. Don't take any notice of the vote-fixers on here. The reason that they're crawling behind them on B roads is that there are too many cars about to allow safe overtaking!!
[quote][p][bold]Keptquiettillnow[/bold] wrote: Martin Terry, Southend councillor for public protection, waste and transport. If you really believe what you are saying, why is your council still not building high quality cycle infrastructure. Why do you only cater to one road user? If you really want people on bikes you have go to do more than a few areas of 'shared space'[/p][/quote]Quite right. Don't take any notice of the vote-fixers on here. The reason that they're crawling behind them on B roads is that there are too many cars about to allow safe overtaking!! Eric the Red
  • Score: -7

10:48am Tue 2 Sep 14

Almeda11 says...

Eric the Red wrote:
Keptquiettillnow wrote:
Martin Terry, Southend councillor for public protection, waste and transport.
If you really believe what you are saying, why is your council still not building high quality cycle infrastructure. Why do you only cater to one road user?
If you really want people on bikes you have go to do more than a few areas of 'shared space'
Quite right. Don't take any notice of the vote-fixers on here. The reason that they're crawling behind them on B roads is that there are too many cars about to allow safe overtaking!!
Completely agree, we have far too many cars on the roads, and people make ridiculously short journeys in them when it would be quicker to walk or cycle, and maybe some would lose weight in the process as well as other health benefits.

l too get fed up when one is tailing me and there is plenty of space to pass, no one has to follow a cyclist for any length of time, and some car drivers are far too cautious when behind a cyclist.
l often give them a wave along, ie an indication to overtake me, and they almost always do.
[quote][p][bold]Eric the Red[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Keptquiettillnow[/bold] wrote: Martin Terry, Southend councillor for public protection, waste and transport. If you really believe what you are saying, why is your council still not building high quality cycle infrastructure. Why do you only cater to one road user? If you really want people on bikes you have go to do more than a few areas of 'shared space'[/p][/quote]Quite right. Don't take any notice of the vote-fixers on here. The reason that they're crawling behind them on B roads is that there are too many cars about to allow safe overtaking!![/p][/quote]Completely agree, we have far too many cars on the roads, and people make ridiculously short journeys in them when it would be quicker to walk or cycle, and maybe some would lose weight in the process as well as other health benefits. l too get fed up when one is tailing me and there is plenty of space to pass, no one has to follow a cyclist for any length of time, and some car drivers are far too cautious when behind a cyclist. l often give them a wave along, ie an indication to overtake me, and they almost always do. Almeda11
  • Score: -4
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree