Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting MBS to 80360 or you can e-mail us Click here for details »
Burnham: Cops' warning after carnival hangover
9:00am Saturday 13th October 2012 in Local News
Police insist the issue of under-age drinking must not be brushed under the carpet.
A number of people suggested the reputation of Burnham Carnival had been marred by a story in last week’s Standard about the large number of youths caught scuffling and drinking in the town after the event.
But Insp Chris Kilgallen said it was important police released the story and highlighted that under-age drinking and associated disorder would not be tolerated.
She said: “It’s important to emphasise that the carnival itself did go very well, but after the event we had to deal with scuffles between groups and there was a large amount of alcohol in the possession of under-age youths.
“The message to the parents of these young people is to be particularly vigilant about where their children are and what they are doing.”
Insp Kilgallen was unable to say how may youngsters had booze confiscated because they had not technically committed an offence and so figures had not been recorded.
But she did emphasise that a large number were local and that five times the alcohol pictured was seized.
She added: “It’s an ongoing issue, not only at events like this, which has obviously been a focal point for youngsters to gather, but throughout the year.
“It’s a matter that the public need to be aware of and we would ask for their assistance in dealing with it.
“We have Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night just around the corner and the combination of young people who are drinking and fireworks is potentially very dangerous.”
SEE THE STANDARD FOR THE FULL STORY