A new market has received a lukewarm reception before it has even opened.
Maldon District Council and market organiser Joe Villar hope the first Burnham town centre market in at least 16 years will boost visitor numbers to the town and encourage them to see what else it has to offer.
About 25 stalls have been signed up for the first one, which will be held in the High Street on Tuesday.
Sue Lis, of Sue’s Catering Services in Mill Road, said: “Burnham is proud not to fall in to the The Only Way Is Essex stereotype and should remain a town known for quality, not cheap market stalls, with the aim of modelling itself after Whitstable or Aldeburgh not Basildon or Canvey.”
Resident Jan Wise, of Calm Patch, said it was a “crack-brained scheme” to shut off the High Street as traffic is already “chaotic.”
Burnham and Dengie Hundred Chamber of Commerce was concerned not all retailers had been consulted, that stalls would compete with shops selling the same items, and the High Street closure would affect parking for businesses.
* Full story in this week's Burnham Standard.