Facebook campaign calls for mum who struck young boy on crossing to lose licence (From Maldon and Burnham Standard)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting MBS to 80360 or you can e-mail us Click here for details »
Facebook campaign calls for mum who struck young boy on crossing to lose licence
3:00pm Monday 26th May 2014 in News
A Facebook page has been set up calling for a woman who crashed into a young child on a pedestrian crossing to have her driving licence revoked.
Earlier this month, the Times reported how Rachel Batts drove her Mercedes into four-year-old Luke Spratt in The Grove, Witham, while he was walking home from Witham Nursery with mum Samantha on February 11.
He was airlifted to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, with serious injuries and had surgery three times during his nine-day stay, Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court heard.
Batts admitted driving without due care and attention and failing to stop for a pedestrian at a zebra crossing.
However, magistrates decided against taking away her licence after she told them she lives in a village and is reliant on her car to get to work, take her son to school and help her grandad.
Instead, the 28-year-old, of School Road, Great Totham, was given six penalty points and fined £250.
In the aftermath of the case, a Facebook page called ‘Take Rachel Batts’ driving licence’ was set up.
Batts claims she has received abuse on social media, left her job as a stylist at The Mensroom, in New Street, Braintree, and even been too scared to switch on her mobile phone since her court appearance.
She said: “I’m not a bad person at all. I’m really not.
“I wasn’t drink-driving, I wasn’t speeding and I’ve never once denied it or tried to get my way out of this.”
She added: “Don’t think I’m walking around laughing because I’m not.
“I’m a mother myself, I’m a human being and I’ve got to live with this for the rest of my life.
“I wish I had lost my licence now because I’ve been made to feel like a criminal.”
See the Times for the full story