Grieving mum welcomes new safety regulations after baby daughter killed by blind cord

5:00pm Wednesday 26th February 2014

A mum whose daughter died after becoming caught up in a blind cord has welcomed tougher safety standards.

Leah Edwards was found in her cot with the cord around her neck in October 2010. She was just 17-months-old.

Mum Joy Edwards, of Ash Grove, Heybridge, has campaigned with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) for stronger manufacturing regulations.

An updated European standard was finally announced last week, which demands blinds are “safe by design” or have child safety devices installed.

Mrs Edwards said: “What they have so far is brilliant. It’s come such a long way and it’s been a long time waiting.”

Full story in tomorrow's Standard.

Back

© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group

Maldon and Burnham Standard: Site Logo http://www.maldonandburnhamstandard.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.maldonandburnhamstandard.co.uk/trade_directory/