Report this comment
  • "Sorry, so what was the mother doing - what had she checked in her home?"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Grieving mum welcomes new safety regulations after baby daughter killed by blind cord

Maldon and Burnham Standard: Joy Edwards with a picture of her daughter Leah Joy Edwards with a picture of her daughter Leah

A mum whose daughter died after becoming caught up in a blind cord has welcomed tougher safety standards.

Leah Edwards was found in her cot with the cord around her neck in October 2010. She was just 17-months-old.

Mum Joy Edwards, of Ash Grove, Heybridge, has campaigned with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) for stronger manufacturing regulations.

An updated European standard was finally announced last week, which demands blinds are “safe by design” or have child safety devices installed.

Mrs Edwards said: “What they have so far is brilliant. It’s come such a long way and it’s been a long time waiting.”

Full story in tomorrow's Standard.

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree